Friday 22 December 2017

Costa UK Clementine Drizzle Loaf Cake review

In amongst all of the last minute Christmas shopping chaos, I was in dire need of a festive pick me up and so I headed towards the bright any shiny Costa sign in the hopes of a sugary treat. Having already over indulged in chocolate this year, I decided to try something a little more delicate sounding so I opted for this clementine drizzle loaf. This sponge is made with a clementine compote and is topped with cream cheese and orange curd frosting as well as chopped pistachio's.


I find Costa's cakes can be a bit hit and miss in terms of freshness and on this occasion it was a definite miss. The sponge was incredible dry and actually inedible. I hate making a fuss or taking things back but on this occasion I had to and it was replaced with another loaf which in all honesty wasn't much better. The sponge itself had a tangy clementine flavour that made for an interesting change but I couldn't get past the dry texture. The sharp orange curd frosting worked really well against the sweet cream cheese and I liked the addition of the crunchy pistachio's and so it is a real shame about the dry sponge. Had I had this cake on a different occasion I may have felt differently as I liked a lot of elements about it, however this visit has put me off trying this clementine loaf again.

No comments:

Post a Comment