Monday 13 November 2017

Ambrosia Deluxe Rice With Spiced Apple review.

Ambrosia rice's are one of those desserts that are handy to have in the back of the cupboard for when you fancy a little treat. I have tasted the standard apple Ambrosia rice plenty of times and it is a fairly decent dessert but nothing spectacular. However, the deluxe custards from Ambrosia are absolutely delicious and so I was keen to see if the deluxe spiced apple rice would be on the same level.


This rice pot can be eaten hot or cold, is suitable for vegetarians, contains no artificial colours or preservatives. It is described as being Ambrosia's most luxurious thick and creamy rice pudding made from west country cream and being a lover of cinnamon I was excited to see the addition of spiced apple. I lifted the lid and expected to see a layer of spiced apple compote at the bottom of the pot but after stirring, I realised the flavour must be throughout the ice since there was no layer of apple. I took my first bite and if I'm completely honest, this wasn't any better than the standard apple rice. In fact, I think I actually prefer the stand version since I could barely taste any apple in this. The focus of this rice has clearly been put on the thickness and creaminess which is great but does mean that the spicy apple flavour was barely even noticeable.


This was slightly thicker and creamier than the standard ambrosia rice and I think it might have been better if I had heated it up but even so, it was still no where near as creamy as say a Muller rice and so Ambrosia really missed a trick here not emphasizing the spiced apple. I would definitely recommend buying the deluxe custards over this rice if I'm being completely honest, because even though this wasn't an unpleasant dessert, there are much better varieties of rice pudding available. I did finish off the rice and if one appeared in the cupboard again I would probably tuck in to it when I had a craving for something a bit sweet, this just isn't a product that I would go out of my way for to buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment