Sunday 16 July 2017

Pronto Cinnamon Instant Cornmeal Mix review

I have never tasted cornmeal before but have seen people eat it on American television shows. I saw this in the foreign food isle at my local Tesco I decided that it might make a nice change from my usual porridge. This is prepared in the same way as a typical porridge pot and requires just boiling water, a good stir and a few minutes of patience. It can also be made with cold water and a microwave. On reading the label I saw that this product originated from Jamaica and is described as Quick, convenient and nutritious. It also states that this pot is "enriched with vitamins for extra goodness". This surprised me considering it has 24g of sugar per 60g pot.


I added water stirred and waited and was surprised at the result. The texture of this cornmeal was incredibly odd and like nothing that I have had before. It was thick and gloopy with almost a wet sand like texture. I took a bite and it seemed quite gritty although the more I got used to it the more I preferred it. The flavour of the cinnamon was quite mild and it wasn't overall as sweet as I had expected.


This is a really unusual product and at £1.10 per pot I don't think that this would be something that I purchase regularly, however I am glad that I got to try it. It was surprisingly filling with a subtly sweet yet spicy flavour but for me personally the sand like texture was just a little too odd. This is a bit of a novelty product and although I did happily finish it off, I don't know how likely I am to buy it again. Having said that if you like trying new and unusual foods then this is probably worth seeking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment