Friday 5 May 2017

Marks & Spencer's Cod & Minted Pea Pie review

As much as I do love fish pie I don't really count it as an actual "pie" since there is no form of pastry in the meal. M&S however have come up with the perfect solution to this by creating a limited edition pie with a cod fillet in a tarter sauce with crushed minted pea. This pie has a stamp on it from the British pie awards and since I haven't seen a product like this before I was excited to see how this would taste.


I popped the pie in the oven for about 20 minutes and this was the finished result. The pie had a golden brown top with a line of mint down the centre. The pastry itself was quite thick yet crispy and delicious. Cutting through the pastry revealed an impressively large chunk of cod in a creamy sauce. I can't say that the sauce had a lot of flavour and I wouldn't have known it was supposed to be tarter if I hadn't read the box but it added moisture and creaminess to the pie that I really enjoyed. The minted peas were crushed at the bottom and complimented the fish flavour really well. The mint was noticeable yet subtle and had quite a set texture which I was pleased about considering the tarter sauce was quite runny.



Overall I did enjoy this pie however if I'm completely honest I just didn't love it as much as I expected too. I think I now understand why fish is rarely put with pastry as the flavour was tasty yet slightly band. The minted crushed peas are the main reason this pie worked as they added the strongest part of the flavour but even so I cant say that I will be rushing out to get this again. This pie did seem as though it was made from high quality ingredients and I would recommend trying it to any fish lovers like myself. Having said that, I don't think that I will be too upset when this pie is no longer available but it did make for a tasty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment