Thursday 25 May 2017

ASDA Extra Special Banoffee Dessert review

Banoffee flavoured products seem to be a popular theme this summer and I for one am certainly not complaining about that. ASDA are another popular brand that have added a new banoffee dessert to their shelves and its even in the extra special range so I was pretty desperate to get my hands on it to try. This dessert is made up of a digestive crumb base, with banana puree, dulce de leche and white chocolate mousse topped off with toffee sponge cubes and chocolate shortcake balls. So basically... this sounded amazing and I was even more excited to see that this banoffee dessert included a white chocolate element and wanted to see if this would compliment the classic banana and caramel flavours.


The dessert came in a clear plastic case with all of the layers showing clearly and it looked impressive. I dug my spoon in firstly hitting the mousse. This was light and tasty but I cant say that I would have known that it was white chocolate flavoured although it did add a light sweetness. The toffee sponge cubes were moist with a slight chew and a lovely toffee flavour. The shortcake balls also added another level to the texture and I enjoyed the crunchiness against the soft sponge and whippy mousse. The digestive crumb was (as you would imagine), very crumbly and it had a lovely buttery flavour. It was quite thick but not out of proportion for the rest of the layers of the dessert. The dulce de leche was sweet and delicious and worked really well all other elements of the dessert. This includes the banana puree which had quite a strong flavour but being a banana lover this didn't bother me. I would imagine that it may be a little too strong for some people but I really enjoyed it and it didn't have an over artificial flavour that a lot of banana products have.


Overall I am pretty impressed with this dessert and glad that I got to try it. It is very rich and sweet so I would only recommend this if you really love your caramel and banana flavours. The white chocolate mousse makes this a little sweeter than a typical banoffee dessert but the mousse element does make it a little less heavy on the stomach. The textures from all of the different layers also worked perfectly together. Despite not being the most luxurious dessert that I have tasted, I have to give some credit to ASDA for combining all of the elements of this dessert together to come up with a slightly different version of a classic. There are better desserts out there but this was still really enjoyable and I would probably buy it again when I get a sugary banana craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment