Thursday 6 October 2016

John West Light Lunch - Tuna, Lime & Cracked Black Pepper Salad review

I have bought a few of these light lunches from the John West range before mainly out of convenience and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed them. These can be easily stored in the cupboard and eaten at your convenience due to the practically decade long eat before dates which John West are well known for. This lunch contains tuna, sweetcorn, pasta, crunchy water chestnuts and peppers in a lime and cracked black pepper dressing and is also one of your five a day. The package states that this is a new product and I haven't seen it before but for under 250 calories I figured it would be worth a try.


As with the other varieties that I have tried the tin packaging reminded me slightly of cat food but I have already learnt that appearances can be deceiving. There was plenty of tuna throughout the lunch with just the right amount of spiral shaped pasta to balance it out. There was also a generous amount of sweetcorn, peppers and water chestnuts which were my favourite element as I loved the crunchy texture. There were also quite a lot of chickpeas which I wasn't expecting but these were a welcome addition to the lunch.


The lime and black pepper dressing was interesting. It was subtle when I was eating the lunch however the more of it that I ate, the more I noticed a slight burn from the black pepper so the dressing was certainly more noticeable in the after taste. I could detect the lime slightly but I think that this is only because I knew that this flavour was present. Overall I did enjoy this lunch and it was a handy, healthy light meal to have when your on the go. It was very flavoursome and although it looked quite small I wasn't left feeling hungry afterwards. Although these light lunches are a bit pricey for what they are, I will probably pick up a couple if I see them on offer as I find them surprisingly tasty, filling and I like the fact that they are a lot healthier than a lot of on the go meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment