Monday 11 April 2016

Chai Pod Vanilla Bean review

I am a big fan of chai spices so this Chai Pod caught my eye when I was passing the free from desserts in Tesco's. It is gluten free and the pot states that it contains only coconut milk, cinnamon, ripened chai seed and vanilla bean. On further inspection, I read that this dessert is suitable for vegans as well as coeliacs and contains 5g of fibre as well as 3g of Omega 3. Since 'clean eating' seems to be the new 'in' thing, I was curious to see how this would compare to a standard vanilla dessert.


I opened the ild to reveal what can only be described as a thick gel that looked a lot like frogspawn. This texture didn't change at all when I stuck the plastic spoon that came with this pod into the pot. It was very goopy and I struggled to get it out of the pot and onto the spoon. I took my first bite and felt very confused. I could taste the cinnamon and coconut water but it didn't have a lot of flavour. The vanilla was extremely subtle and it wasn't really sweet at all which is what I was expecting. There were small seeds throughout which were very easy to chew and although when I took my first bite I wasn't too keen, the more I ate the more I got used to the unusual texture.


I can't honestly say that I am desperate to buy this again and infact when I first tasted it I didn't like it at all but by the third bite I started to get used to it and quite happily finished it off. It did take some getting used too because of the odd texture and there wasn't really anything sweet about it but the mild cinnamon flavour saved this for me. If you enjoy coconut milk then you may be more impressed than me as this was probably the dominant flavour but if I did require a free from diet, this might just become a regular purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment