Saturday 23 April 2016

ASDA Caramel Eclairs review

Éclairs are not a dessert that I would generally choose purely because I don't love choux pastry. I don't know why but the crispness of the pastry is something that doesn't sit very well with me. Despite this, my love of caramel forced me to put these caramel eclairs into my basket and seing as I havn't had an éclair in years, I thought that my tastes may have changed.


I cut it in half which was actually pretty difficult. The pastry was surprisingly soft which wasn't what I was expecting. There was a thick layer of set caramel on top which smelt very sweet and this followed through into the taste. The caramel layer was delicious but could quite easily be a bit sickly if your teeth aren't as sweet as mine. There was a fair amount of whipped cream inside that lightened the flavour of the heavy caramel and I have to admit that I quite enjoyed the pastry. It didn't add much in terms of taste and I will always find choux pastry a bit too dry but that's just my personal taste and it fairness it was actually pretty good.


For anyone looking for a traditional crispy éclair then you will probably find this a bit soggy and far too sweet, however if your looking for something slightly different then I can recommend these eclairs. They are sweet with a light cream filling and a soft pastry and the strong caramel flavour of these cakes was enough to win me over. In fact I think I will probably end up buying these again which is something that I didn't expect to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment