Monday 29 August 2016

Greggs Belgian Chocolate Salted Caramel Shortbread review

Caramel shortbread to me is the ultimate indulgent treat and salted caramel is also a weakness of mine. This is why I couldn't wait to try Greggs salted caramel shortbread. Greggs is  a brand that I am very rarely disappointed with and I always enjoy their products so my expectations were pretty high despite never having salted caramel in one of these bars before.


The bar came topped with small chewy pieces of salted caramel. The layers looked perfectly in proportion with a thick layer of Belgian chocolate, a clear layer salted caramel on a sturdy shortbread base. The bar had a distinctive smell of salted caramel rather than the usual sweetness that goes alongside caramel shortbread bars. I was pleased with this as I was initially concerned that this would just taste like generic caramel shortbread with a "salted caramel" label just so Greggs could jump on the salted caramel band waggon.


I needn't have worried. The bar was rich and delicious with a strong flavour of salted caramel that wasn't too bitter or overwhelming. Although not huge in size it was quite a generous portion and I think if it was any larger it would have been too heavy and rich to finish. The chocolate tasted of a good quality with a buttery shortbread base and clearly salted caramel. This is well worth a try for any salted caramel fans or for anyone looking for a slight change to a traditional caramel shortbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment